w3schools Progress

w3schools Progress

by Chase Sonnemaker -
Number of replies: 0

Thus far, I have reached the LIKE operator in the w3schools SQL tutorial. While I had hoped to be a little farther at this point, I tend to take things slow, make lots of notes, and ensure I completely understand a set of operators or statements before moving on. So far I have learned a great deal about using the select statement to return a relation of specific records of interest, but I have also learned about using the INSERT INTO, UPDATE, and DELETE statements to make changes to the tables in the database. A large portion of the section is focused on operators and conditions that make conditionally selecting records of interest for a return relation easier. For example, SELECT DISTINCT returns unique records in a table, SELECT TOP returns the first set of values in a table, and LIKE allows you to specifically pick certain records (especially those that are strings). There have also been some functions designed to describe all of the values in an attribute such as AVG, MAX, MIN, COUNT, and SUM.

Since I am working through the tutorial linearly, I have not seen a whole lot specifically about table combination, a rather large focus of the Relational Algebra videos. So while I can see some analogy between relational algebra and SQL in filtering tables (i.e. Selecting and Projecting vs SELECT and WHERE (kind of)), I have yet to see the table combination equivalents in SQL. I am excited to get to these segments as the table combination seemed extremely useful in relational algebra.