by Austin Thomas -
Number of replies: 0

I have found the w3schools tutorials to be the most useful for me to learn SQL. It works for me because it gives you a lesson about one skill and then gives practice problems right after to make sure you understand. One of the biggest things I am learning is the skills are all related to each other. Meaning that the use of one skill can tie directly to the use of another in order to execute a certain command. For example, if you were to select a set of data and give it a singular condition using the where function, but then decided that you wanted the data you selected to meet multiple conditions you would then use the and function as well. The most recent lesson I have went through is the update skill. This is where you are able to pick and attribute set it to whatever you want it to be. Then, in the records where it is the desired attribute you can changed another attribute to something else. An example of this would be if you had a list of football players in the NFL. You could say for every wide receiver on the Green Bay Packers to change their injury status to questionable. This would update the injury status category for every WR on the Packers. I would say I am starting to get a better idea of the materials, however I did notice in class today I knew the general concepts and what they were used for, but not necessarily how to use them in a real application problem like the one we did in class.